Friday, September 9, 2011

it's official!

Alhamdulillah i'm now officially a student venturing into the highest level of education at one of the RUs in Malaysia. The registration was on Tuesday, 6th September, and there were lots of new postgraduates in the hall for the same purpose. Not only Malaysians but also those from Iran, Libya, Pakistan, (just to name a few) were seen hoovering the place. I'm impressed by the way the university officers on duty handled the quite chaotic situation especially when it involved these international students. The officers could effortlessly explained in English, gave instructions, and above all, were so cool (& patient) though at warm temperature of the hall.

Speech by Dato' VC was so inspiring. I've never seen a VC so comfortable speaking in front of 600+ students as if he was 'talking' to us rather than 'reading' the speech prepared for him. He was fast, dynamic, sometimes funny, but at time assertive. No singing of 'Negaraku' or the university's anthem prior or after the event. He arrived at 10 sharp, and finished his briefing an hour later, walked off quickly and smiled to all of us on his way out of the hall.

Briefings by the head of librarian and IT manager were also conducted in English. I'm again impressed that they could explain it well in that language.

Meeting my supervisor. That afternoon I was called to her office, which is in the same location of Dato' VC's. Again, i'm impressed. Someone waits behind the desk just in front of the room and asked whether I have the appointment. Yes, i replied and she pushed a button and the door automatically opens. That makes me : 'wah, security lock!' 

My supervisor is a beautiful lady. We discussed things related to the journey of my study. She would like to see me fortnightly. And she wanted me to read these 2 PhD thesis available in the library. And she wanted me to be proactive and work hard. She is a busy person. With an important role in the university. Because of that, I have a co-supervisor. I don't mind, as long as they supervise my work here, I am already grateful.

I have some fond memories of this university. 11 years ago, I was offered to become a tutor here. But I declined the offer as at the same time I have started working in the place I work now. In 2002, I did my master part-time but quit before the first semester ended, as I got the offer to study in Bristol. But, who knows, Allah the AlMighty knows better, I come back to this place to attain something more.

I also met several familiar faces here. I met Cik Din (from the Bursary), Cik Ram (from the Registrar Office), Dr Mahani (whom I know from Bristol), Aida (my ex-schoolmate in KTAM), and I am yet to find some others like Yanti (ex-primary schoolmate), Nazrinda (librarian), Dr Zairus (I know her from Bristol), Dr Zainudin (also from Bristol), Dr Narina (ditto), Dr Ety (my ex-KTAM friend), Dr Salinda (now FKEE lecturer & my ex-primary schoolmate), Dayah (counsellor, from SMKAS), and probably many many more which I just have not discovered yet.

And most importantly, my family, never ending supports from mom & dad, and little sisters & brother, who live just next to the university where I will find place for lunch, dinner, and love during my stay at this university. My hubby, of course, a loyal soul-partner, even with his limitation has driven me miles and miles and my children though at small age always remind me to take care and say that they love me. These are my inspiration to work hard and to be successful in my new adventure here. I pray that Allah will shower me with His Love and Mercy and that my journey will be a smooth sailing and ends with a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment